Image Map

Adam David Nani


Our life revolves around this beautiful little man that came into our world on 23 January 2011 at 3:15 in the afternoon. He weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces and was 21.5 inches long.  I remember when I saw him for the first time.  It was like I never really knew how much I could love...I am sure that most parents out there know what I mean by that.  Lots of tears and heartache brought David and I to that exact moment.  Let me explain.

About a year and a half after we were married we found out that we were one of those couples that were deemed 'infertile'.  So much so that all the experts we went to told us we had less than a 1 percent chance to get pregnant on our own and that the best chance for us would be in-vitro fertilization.  The news was pretty devastating for us.  We spent a long time trying in hope that they were wrong.  Every month we were sure that we were pregnant and every month we'd end up staring in disbelief at the negative home pregnancy test.  Being married for over a year (and of course being part of the LDS community), we would always get asked the ever-so-popular question, 'when are you guys going to start popping out the kiddos?' and David would answer, 'as soon as the Lord will give them to us'.  He was the strong one, he has always been the strong one.  Me?  Oh, anyone that knows me knows I am not one who takes emotional things lightly.  I break down, I cry, I let my mind go to the worst scenario possible.

At the beginning of 2010, we decided to move forward with IVF.  Our chances of conception were about 60 percent (and of course all I thought about was the 40 percent chance of failure).  The process took about 3 months.  I cannot tell you how many times we had to stab needles into one part of my body or another.  On 30 April 2010 we had the egg retrieval, five days later we transferred two of the 4 surviving embryos and froze the other two (for future use). Twelve agonizing days after that we got the call.  Actually, I had them call David because I knew I would not be able to handle it.  He called me and told me he was outside my office.  I walked up to him and he told me the one thing I have wanted to hear my entire life- we were pregnant.  Can you believe it?  I'll be honest and say that I had this overwhelming fear I would never be a mother.  The one thing I have always wanted to be seemed out of reach for such a long time.  But here we were- pregnant.

Our pregnancy was really great.  I loved feeling this little being growing inside me (even when my back was killing me). At twenty weeks we found out we were having a little boy.  I was so excited about that.  I really did not care if it was a boy or a girl, but knowing that I would get to have a little man to grow up to be like his dad was an incredible thought.  The journey of getting our miracle here ended with tears as he was placed in our arms that afternoon in January.  Now we are blessed to have the journey of watching him grow.  I know it is cheesy to say, but his presence makes our life more complete.

This image was something I wanted to see since the day I knew David would be my husband- and the father of our babies.  Every needle, every tear, every second of sadness and heartache, even every dollar spent- worth it.


2 comments:

Terina said...

I'm so happy for you guys! He's beautiful and perfect and nothing you said was cheesy! Just so true! love you!

Michelle said...

what a story! i'm over here getting emotional reading it. haha but what a blessing your little adam is!

Post a Comment